Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
There's nothing quite like a bowl of homemade chicken soup to make things better. This recipe for Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup is wonderful because not only does it feature fresh herbs and produce but it also simmers all day in the slow cooker to achieve maximum flavor potential. You won't find many other recipes for chicken noodle soup that are this rich and delicious, and that require such little time spent in the kitchen cooking! This is one of those slow cooker soup recipes that you'll find yourself making no matter the season, it's so incredibly tasty.
Leftover soup that is chilled may look broken once fat from the soup separates from the cream. Simply reheat the soup, stir, and it will come back together. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts my be substituted for a leaner soup.
Slow Cooker Time LOW8 hr
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or any neutral high heat oil)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced (1 large)
- 1 cup celery, sliced (about 3 ribs)
- 1 cup carrots, sliced (about 3 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 5 cups egg noodles, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and brown the chicken thighs for several minutes on each side.
Place the thighs in the slow cooker along with the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Pour in the chicken stock and water, cover, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Carefully remove the chicken thighs and place on a cutting board. Add the egg noodles, sage, thyme and parsley to the slow cooker and turn the heat on high for 9-10 minutes.
While the noodles are cooking, use two forks to gently shred the chicken. Once the noodles are cooked, return the chicken to the slow cooker. Stir in the cream (if using), lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Read NextSlow Cooker Potato Bacon Chowder