Simple Brown Gravy
Whether the holidays are upon us, or it's just a regular weeknight at home, you can never go wrong with a Simple Brown Gravy recipe. This easy-to-make condiment makes a great way to dress mashed potatoes, turkey breast and more. When the holidays roll around, there is always a need for gravy. It's nice to have a recipe on hand you can turn to instead of buying anything from the store. Not only will it taste better, but it won't take much effort at all to make! Impress your friends and family this year when you make the entire holiday meal from scratch.
- Kitchen Bouquet or Worcestershire sauce is added for color and deeper flavor, and can be omitted if desired.
- This recipe is appropriate for a chicken or vegetable gravy as well; simply substitute a good quality low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth for the beef.
These Ultra Creamy Mashed Potatoes are the perfect way to try out your fresh-made gravy!
Makes2 cups of gravy
Cooking Time5 min
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet or Worcestershire sauce (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
Enter for a chance to win the Fiesta Ceramic Sauceboat Giveaway during the 10 Days of Thanks! This giveaway runs until November 18th and you can receive an extra entry by commenting below on this page. Be sure to also check out the grand prize giveaway featuring all the daily prizes in the 10 Days of Thanks!
Place broth, butter, Kitchen Bouquet, onion powder and paprika into a 2 quart saucepan and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Lower heat to a simmer.
In a small bowl, stir together the water and cornstarch to form and very smooth paste, called a slurry. Dip about 2 tablespoons of the hot broth into the slurry and stir until pourable and smooth, then stir the slurry into the simmering broth. Continue to cook and stir until the mixture is of the consistency you like, about 3 more minutes. (The gravy will thicken slightly more off the heat). Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- There is a maximum of one extra entry per person. The extra entry will be based upon a comment left on this post. Duplicate comments are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and the entries on the contest page.
- The winner will be contacted on the morning of November 19th, 2018.
- Email Address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your email address in the comments--you already provided it when you created your account)
- You have until November 18th, 2018 at 11:59pm EST to leave your comment on this post. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada. Excludes Quebec and Puerto Rico.
Do you make gravy for Thanksgiving or use store-bought?
Answer below in the comments.
Read NextHow to Stretch Pasta Sauce