Chinese Risotto with Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 tb Oriental sesame oil
- 2 ts minced red jalapeno or serrano chili
- 2 ts minced garlic
- 4 ts soy sauce
- 1 tb rice vinegar
- pinch of sugar
- 3 tb vegetable oil
- 1/3 c chopped shallots
- 5 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
- 1 c chopped boneless smoked pork chops
- 1 c arborio or medium-grain rice
- 3 c (or more) chicken stock or canned low-salt broth
- 1 c finely chopped mustard greens
- 1 c chopped fresh cilantro
Yield: 4 servings. Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in heavy medium skillet over medium- high heat. Add minced chili and saute 1 minute. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar and pinch of sugar and stir to blend. Strain through fine sieve into small bowl, pressing on solids with back of spoon. (Soy sauce mixture can be prepared 1 day ahead. Refrigerate.) Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped shallots and saute 2 minutes. Add sliced shiitake mushrooms and smoked pork and saute 6 minutes. Add rice and stir 1 minute. Add 3 cups chicken stock and bring to simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Add chopped mustard greens and cilantro and stir 1 minute. Mix in soy sauce mixture. Add more chicken stock by tablespoons if rice is dry. Divide risotto among bowls and serve.
Read NextAuthentic & Healthy Mexican Rice
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use