Azorean (Portuguese) Sopas Recipe
This dish is as exotic as the islands from which it hails. Azorean Sopas is a thick soup ladled onto mint-covered bread. Try this unique and tasty recipe tonight.
- 5-lb. beef pot roast, cut into 3 pieces
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 8-oz cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 5 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 bottle rose' wine
- 10 cups cold water
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. wine vinegar
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and quartered
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch slices
- 25 whole fresh mint leaves, with stem-essential
1. Combine all ingredients except mint and bread in a large pot. Cover and simmer 6 hours. During last hour, uncover pot.
2. At serving time, cover bottom of large, shallow serving dish with bread slices. Lay lightly bruised mint leaves on top of bread so each piece is touched by mint flavor. Ladle hot sopas on top and eat immediately.