Caramelized Onion and Spinach Frittata with Cabot Reduced Fat Cheddar
With spinach and eggs, this frittata is an excellent source of iron - a key mineral that helps keep the mind sharp and energy levels high. Many of us donâ€™t get enough iron in our diets, so choose this recipe for a simple dinner solution or special breakfast all in one!
Get other wonderful recipes for Mother's Day in our free, downloadable eCookbook, Celebrate Mom: 26 Terrific Mother's Day Recipes.
Cooking Time20 min
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 large sweet onion (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla), thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 ounces Cabot 50% Reduced Fat Cheddar, grated and divided (about 3/4 cup)
- cooking spray
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cover and cook 3 minutes. Uncover, season with thyme and sauté an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and let cool.
- Preheat broiler.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites, salt, pepper and hot sauce in a large bowl. Stir in caramelized onions, spinach and half of cheese.
- Coat a small nonstick skillet or omelet pan with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat.
- Pour in egg mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 3 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned, lifting edges and tilting skillet as eggs cook to allow uncooked portion to flow underneath cooked portion.
- Wrap handle of pan with foil. Broil frittata 2 minutes or until top is almost set.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and broil 2 additional minutes or until cheese is melted.
Read NextFajita Omelet