County Cork Irish Stew
This is one of the Saint Patrick's Day recipes my family makes every year. It's hearty and delicious, and everyone who tastes it says it's a great Irish dinner recipe.
Looking for more terrific Irish food recipes? Check out our collection of Saint Patrick's Day Recipes: 8 Fresh Ideas for Dinner today!
Cooking Time40 min
- 8 small lamb chops, thawed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- bay Leaves
- 1 pound potatoes (3-4 medium)
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large leek (white part), thin sliced
- 12 small white onions
- 1 1/2 cup celery stalks, diced
- 1 1/2 cup peas
- chopped fresh parsley
- Season chops with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in saucepan wide enough to hold all chops in a single layer.
- Brown on both sides.
- Spoon off any melted fat and add enough water to cover chops.
- Bring to a boil and add parsley, bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme and rosemary to taste, enclosed in cheesecloth.
- Lower heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes and shape into bite sized rounds.
- Chop trimmings from potatoes into small pieces.
- Add potatoes, trimmings, cabbage, onion, well-rinsed leek, white onions and celery to chops and liquid.
- Simmer 20 minutes then add peas. Add a little more water if needed during cooking.
- Simmer 10 minutes more or until potatoes are tender. Correct seasoning. Garnish with parsley and serve.