New Year Good Luck Pretzel
German legend has it that if you eat pretzel twists like these for breakfast on New Year's Day, you'll have good luck throughout the year. Give it a try - if nothing else, they taste delicious!
Cooking Time20 min
- 2/3 cup dry milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 cakes yeast (or equivalent in dry yeast)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 7 1/2 cups flour
- powdered sugar, nuts, cherries, etc. for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Mix dry milk, salt, sugar and water om a large bowl.
- Stir in yeast until it dissolves.
- Add eggs and shortening and stir in.
- Add flour, cup by cup, beating in with mixer on high speed, until about half the flour is used.
- Mix in remaining flour.
- Let dough rise until double.
- Punch down and let rise again.
- Take half of dough and roll it to form a long strip.
- Cut into 8 pieces and shape into a pretzels, twisting once at the center.
- Repeat with remaining half of dough.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 350F degrees.
- Remove from oven and brush with margarine.
- Frost while still warm with a thin powdered sugar and water frosting.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts or decorate with candied cherries, etc, if desired.
Read NextSticky Toffee Pudding