Arnaki Sto Fourno Me Patates Greek Lamb & Potatoes
Arnaki Sto Fourno Me Patates is a hearty and filling leg of lamb, roasted to a golden brown with garlicky potatoes. Prepare outdoors on a spit for a real taste of old Athens!
- 4 lamb (leg)
- 2 cups garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered lengthways
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 oregano (dried)
- 1 bunch thyme, chopped
- seasoning, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7. Wipe the lamb and make four deep incisions in different parts of the meat. Rub the garlic in seasoning and insert garlic into the incisions.
2. Place the meat in the centre of a roasting tin and surround with the potatoes. Pour over the lemon juice and olive oil and, in a corner of the dish, add 7 fl.oz. water. Season well and sprinkle with half the herbs. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to Gas Mark 5 and cook for 1 hour. Remove the tin twice to baste meat and turn potatoes.
3. Turn over the meat in order to brown the other side. Season, sprinkle with the remaining herbs and add hot water if necessary. Increase heat to Gas Mark 7 and cook for 20 minutes.
Read NextGreek Baked Chicken