Frankfurter Bohnensuppe (Bean Soup With Frankfurters)
Frankfurter Bohnensuppe, or Bean Soup With Frankfurters is a classic German dish. Made with a pound of navy beans and six German sausage frankfurters, this flavor-rich recipe will be all the rave at your next dinner.
Cooking Time1 hr 35 min
- 1 pound Navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 rashers bacon, cubed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 German sausage frankfurters, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Soak beans overnight.
- In a 3-quart saucepan bring beans, water and beef froth to a boil.
- Cook for about 1 hour. Add carrot and celery and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- In a separate frypan cook the bacon until transparent.
- Add the onions; cook until golden; set aside.
- Mash soup through a sieve or food mill.
- Return to pan and add the bacon onion mixture, salt and pepper.
- Add frankfurters; reheat about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle soup with chopped parsley and serve.