Aelplermagronen (Alpine Farmer's Macaroni with Applesauce)
Aelplermagronen, featuring a medley of tastes - cheeses, potatoes, macaroni, apples, vanilla, cinnamon - makes a savory-sweet Old World supper. Kids will love the macaroni and fried potatoes; adults will appreciate the sophisticated blend of flavors.
- 200 g potatoes (7 oz)
- 400 g macaroni, cooked (14 oz)
- 3 onions
- salt, freshly ground pepper
- 40 g butter (1.5 oz)
- 40 g Gruyere cheese (1.5 oz)
- 1/2 clove garlic, mashed
- 25 g 'Vacherin de Fribourg' cheese (1 oz)
- 3 dl whipping cream
- 1 kg cooking apples (2 lbs 4 oz)
- 1 clove vanilla bean,slit open
- 120 g granulated sugar (4.25 oz)
- 1 dl water
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 lemon juice (optional)
1. Boil the potatoes in their skin. Let cool. Peel onions and cut into thin slices. In a large frying pan heat the butter and saute the onions until they are a light brown.
2. Moisten with cream, add the garlic and bring to boil. Stir in the (cooked) macaroni, slice the potatoes and stir into pan. Reheat. Grate the cheese and stir in.
3. Peel and core apples. Cut into small pieces. In a saucepan bring water and sugar to a boil. Add the apples and the spices. Cook until tender, remove the spices, liquidise. Return to saucepan, bring to a simmer and let the liquid evaporate somewhat. Correct seasoning with a few drops lemon juice and sugar as necessary. Arrange the macaroni & potatoes mixture in the centre of each (heated) plate, pour the sauce all round, sprinkle with some grated cheese.