Edible Easter Basket
Want to really "wow" them at Easter this year with your baking prowess? Make this adorable, edible Easter basket to put all your yummy Easter dessert recipes in, and they'll be thanking you from now until NEXT Easter!
Cooking Time1 hr 5 min
- 3 cups flour
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- Combine flour with yeast.
- Heat milk and butter and add to flour mixture, along with salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Form a ball and leave it to rise.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a flat surface, roll three-quarters of dough with rolling pin until you get a 10" square. Cut into 24 strips. Lay 12 strips next to each other, and use the other 12 to weave between them.
- Place an ovenproof bowl upside down on a cookie sheet, then coat the bowl with butter. Place the basket strips on top of the bowl; cut the ends. Brush the strips with egg yolk.
- Bake for 45 minutes, but after 20 minutes, cover the strips with aluminum foil.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Roll the remaining dough into a rectangle; cut it into 3 strips (to create a rim for a basket).
- Braid the strips and place them on a cookie sheet. Brush with egg yolk and bake for 20 minutes.
- Gently remove basket from bowl and pin the rim onto it with toothpicks.