Chocolate Cupcakes with Rose Frosting
Chocolate Cupcakes With Rose Frosting are the perfect treat for Valentine's Day. These rich chocolate cupcakes have a unique rose frosting that will impress anyone on this special day.
For more great Valentine's Day recipes, click here to view and download our new Valentine's Day eCookbook!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon rosewater, or to taste
- Shredded coconut, toasted, as garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 1/2-cup muffin tins with paper muffin cups.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter, add the sugar, and beat the mixture until it is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs a little at a time, then add the chocolate, and continue to beat the mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until combined well.
- Into a bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the vanilla. Add half the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, gently stirring to combine. Stir in the milk mixture and the remaining dry ingredients until just combined.
- Divide batter among the lined muffin tins, filling each cup 2/3 full, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Chill, loosely wrapped in plastic. Cupcakes may be prepared a day ahead.
In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter until it is light. Sift the confectioners' sugar onto a piece of waxed paper. With the mixer running add the confectioners' sugar a little at a time until combined well. Beat in the milk and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the rosewater. Frost the cupcakes and garnish with the coconut.