Authentic Chicken Mole
Learn how to cook a chicken with chocolate with this recipe, one of the best chicken recipes out there. These authentic chicken cooking instructions are some of the tastiest ones.
- 8 pounds chicken
- 1 ripe tomato, halved
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 dried chili pasilla
- 1 dried chili guajillo
- 1/2 cup pepitas, raw hulled green pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into 3 pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Bone the chicken parts, reserving the meat. Place the bones in a stewpot. Add 8 cups of water, the tomato, the scallions, and 4 garlic cloves.
- Bring to a boil and skim off the foam that rises to the surface. Reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Cut the reserved chicken meat into 2-inch cubes. Add to the chicken broth, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove meat and set aside. Strain the broth and reserve.
- Place the chili pasilla in a small saucepan with 1/2 cup water. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the chili guajillo, the pumpkin seeds, the sesame seeds, and the cinnamon into a heavy saute pan over low heat, and toast, stirring, for 15 minutes.
- While the seed mixture is toasting, place the onion and remaining 6 garlic cloves on a roasting pan, and char lightly on all sides under broiler, about 8 minutes.
- In a food processor, place the chili pasilla with its cooking liquid, the toasted chili guajillo, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and cinnamon, the charred onion and garlic, the pepper flakes, the canned tomatoes, and 2 cups of the reserved chicken broth. Puree until smooth.
- Add the chocolate and sugar, and bring the mixture to a boil. When the chocolate has melted, add the chicken cubes, and enough of the reserved broth to cover the chicken.
- Simmer over low heat for 45 minutes. The chicken should be tender and the sauce medium-thick. Add extra broth if necessary. Season to taste and serve.
Read NextCreamy Shrimp Salad