Beef and Barley Cabbage Rolls
Sometimes, a hearty meal is all you need to sooth your soul...and with Beef and Barley Cabbage Rolls, you're sure to feel the love! This easy casserole is great for a family party or gathering.
Cooking Time30 min
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked barley
- 12 large, whole, outside cabbage leaves
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- paprika to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium stockpot, bring water and salt to a boil. Add barley and cook until tender, approximately 45 minutes, depending on type of barley used (refer to package). Drain and set aside.
- In another stockpot, blanch cabbage leaves in boiling water for 1 minute.
- In a bowl, combine barley, meat, 1/2 cup evaporated milk, carrots, parsley, egg, celery seed, onion, ketchup, pepper, butter, and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly and divide into 12 even portions. Place each portion on stem end of a cabbage leaf and roll up tightly. Fasten with a toothpick.
- Place rolls in a greased baking dish. Pour remaining milk over the rolls and bake for 30 minutes, or until cooked through, turn rolls over once to help them cook evenly. Sprinkle with paprika before serving.