Morrison's Lodge Apple Walnut Torte
This awesome apple walnut torte helped put Morrison's Lodge on the map back in 1993. The best apples to use are Granny Smiths, Newtons, or Braeburns, but if you have a favorite, go and and substitute it. With this recipe, any apple tastes fantastic!
Get other wonderful recipes for Mother's Day in our free, downloadable eCookbook, Celebrate Mom: 26 Terrific Mother's Day Recipes.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 Crisco or butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup nuts
- 1 1/2 cup chopped apples
- Rum-Caramel Sauce (recipe below)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cream together and Crisco or butter; add egg.
- Sift salt, baking soda, cinnamon, flour into cream mixture.
- Add nuts and apples and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter in well greased 10-inch spring form pan or a 10-inch glass pie pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 50 minutes.
- Allow time to cool before serving.
- Serve á la mode with warm Rum-Caramel Sauce (recipe below).
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons dark rum (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- In a small saucepan, place butter, cream, brown sugar, and sugar. Cook over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, whisk the ingredients together.
- Cook until slightly thickened.
- Add rum or vanilla and serve warm over torte and ice cream.