Grandma's Magic Lemon Cake
This lemon cake recipe is magic because from one batter you get three distinct layers! If you're looking for a new easy cake recipe to make, try this Grandma's Magic Lemon Cake. Once it's done baking, you'll have a cake with a layer of custard built in. Lemon desserts are always refreshing and delicious, and this cake is no exception. It's Grandma's prized recipe, so you know it has to be good.
Cooking Time45 min
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) melted better
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Grated zest of one lemon
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 1 1/2 quart baking dish or an 8x8 cake pan. Get out a slightly larger pan at least 2 inches deep which will hold the baking dish comfortably.
- In a mixing bowl combine 3/4 cup of the sugar, salt, and flour. Add the melted butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, and egg yolks and stir until thoroughly blended. Stir in the milk.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar until they are stiff but moist. Fold the beaten whites into the lemon mixture, then pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Set the cake pan in the larger pan and pour hot water into the larger pan to come halfway up the sides of the cake pan. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Serve warm or chilled, with heavy cream, if you wish.
Read NextLemon Magic Cake