Zesty Black Eyed Peas
Representing prosperity, as well as being incredibly delicious, these Zesty Black Eyed Peas are a traditional southern dish for the new year. Made with jalapenos, bacon and fresh vegetable, other bean recipes can't compare.
- 1 pound black-eyed peas (overnight soak optional)
- 6 strips bacon or 1 pound of smoked sausage, sliced and browned
- 2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 quarts water
- Creole seasoning blend to taste
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring the peas to a boil, reduce heat, add all other ingredients and cook over low heat, uncovered, for one hour until beans are tender and creamy.
- Serve over hot, long-grain white rice and add Tabasco to taste.