Southwest Cowboy Beans
Bring the flavors of the southwest to your favorite bean recipe. Jam packed with ground beef and chorizo, it's spicy flavor will have you coming back for more. Serve with corn bread for a true cowboy dinner.
- 4 quarts water
- 2 1/2 cups pinto beans, rinsed and soaked
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 10 ounces longaniza-style chorizo or breakfast sausage, casing removed, crumbled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (14.5-ounces) recipe-ready diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6-ounces) tomato paste
- 1 (1.25-ounces) packet of Ortega taco seasoning mix - regular
- Place water, beans and quartered onion in large stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, partially covered, for 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Add salt; cook for additional 30 minutes.
- Combine beef, chorizo, chopped onion, bell pepper and garlic in large skillet until beef is no longer pink; drain.
- Add beef mixture, tomatoes and juice, tomato paste and taco seasoning mix to beans. Mix well; cover.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Read NextSouthern Hoppin' John