Smokey and the Bacon Cheese Straws
There are two things that great appetizer recipes have to have - bacon and cheese! These smokey treats are made with smoked Gouda and Cheddar cheese with a hint of chili powder for a little zest. Great for a snack, make them for your guests or family any time of the week.
- 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup smoked Gouda cheese, Finely shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 6 slices naturally hickory smoked bacon, cooked crisp, drained, and finely diced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cheeses, salt, chipotle chile powder, and flour. Using a pastry cutter, two forks, or your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture until pea-size pieces of dough form (add 1 to 2 teaspoons ice water at this point if the mixture is too dry).
- Stir in the egg and bacon and form a dough ball. Divide the dough in half; wrap one half in plastic and refrigerate.
- Divide the unchilled dough portion into 12 pieces.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to roll each piece into a 10-inch-long straw. Place the straws on a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp.
- While the first baking sheet is in the oven, remove the second portion of dough from the refrigerator and roll and bake an additional 12 straws. Let cool before serving.