African Fruit Salad
African Fruit Salad's got something for everyone - this recipe features a cornucopia of vegetables, fruits, and sweets, including whipped cream! This recipe makes a delicious side dish, but works even better as a show-stopping main course!
- 2 quarts raw spinach
- 2 quarts Romaine lettuce
- 1 quart chicory
- 1 quart lettuce
- fresh pineapple cut in fingers, about 3 per bowl
- fresh mango in strips, about 2-3 per bowl
- avocado, dipped in lemon juice and cut in strips
- fresh coconut, cut in thin slices
- oranges (California type), to taste, thinly sliced with skins left on
- bananas, to taste, cut in chunks
- mayonnaise, to taste
- chopped peanuts (or coconut), to taste
- 1 pint-basket strawberries or any berries in season.
- 4 limes
- 1 quart mayonnaise
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- few drops green vegetable coloring
1. In a 2-gallon bowl, stem, wash, and tear into medium-sized pieces: 2 quarts raw spinach, 2 quarts romaine, 1 quart chicory and 1 quart lettuce.
2. Fill your guests' bowls with the mixture of greens.
3. Add fresh pineapple cut in fingers, about 3 per bowl, fresh mango in strips, about 2-3 per bowl, avocado, dipped in lemon juice and cut in strips, fresh coconut, cut in thin slices, oranges (California type), thinly sliced with skins left on, bananas, cut in chunks, thinly coated with mayonnaise and dipped in chopped peanuts (or coconut) and 1 pint-basket strawberries or any berries in season.
4. Arrange the fruits attractively and serve with lime dressing; to make, grate 4 limes, and add grated rinds with their juice to 1 quart mayonnaise.
5. Fold in 1 cup whipped cream sweetened with 2 tbs. sugar and a few drops of green vegetable coloring for dramatic flair. Serve immediately.