Amish Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Frosting
Breakfast couldn't get yummier than caramel topped cinnamon rolls! To make cinnamon rolls healthier and a lot tastier, this recipe for Amish Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Frosting adds canned pumpkin (or fresh cooked pumpkin) to the batter.
- For Dough:
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin or mashed cooked pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- For Caramel Frosting:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted
- For Dough: In small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until warm (120-130 degrees) and butter is almost melted, stirring constantly.
- In large mixer bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar and salt.
- Add milk mixture to pumpkin and beat with electric mixer until well mixed. Beat in egg and yeast.
- In separate mixing bowl, combine flours. Add half of flour mixture to pumpkin mixture. Beat mixture on low speed 5 minutes, scraping sides of bowl frequently. Add remaining flour and mix thoroughly (dough will be very soft).
- Turn dough into lightly greased bowl, then grease surface of dough lightly. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto floured surface. Knead a few turns to form a smooth dough, sprinkling with enough additional flour to make dough easy to handle.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 12x10-inch rectangle.
- In small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Brush surface of dough with melted butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture.
- Beginning with long side of dough, roll up jelly roll style. Pinch seam to seal. With sharp knife, cut roll into 12 slices, about 1 inch wide each. Place rolls, cut side up, in greased 9x9-inch baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover rolls and let rise until nearly doubled, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake rolls at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from pan to waxed paper-lined wire rack. Cool 10 to 15 minutes.
- For Caramel Frosting: In small saucepan, heat butter until melted.
- Stir in brown sugar and milk. Cook over medium low heat 1 minute. Transfer to small mixer bowl and cool mixture.
- Stir in vanilla, salt, and confectioners' sugar. Beat with electric mixer until well blended. If necessary, add more confectioners' sugar for desired consistency.
- Drizzle caramel frosting over cinnamon rolls.