Cooking whole artichokes can be tough, but this steamed artichokes recipe makes it easy. Learn how to cook artichokes that are tasty and nutritious.
- 4 artichokes, trimmed and cleaned
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole lemon, sliced
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh squeezed lemon juice
- sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, chopped
1. Place artichokes in a non aluminum pan and cover 1/2 way with water.
2. Add bay leaf, garlic clove smashed and the sliced lemon. Bring to a boil and cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
3. Simmer until fork tender (I test with a wooden skewer) about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain well.
4. Place artichokes on serving dishes or a platter and gently spread open leaves to resemble a flower. Remove fuzzy chokes if desired.
5. Drizzle artichokes liberally with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic and sprinkle with softened chopped sundried tomatoes, roasted chopped bell pepper and a grated of fresh black pepper. Serve as an appetizer.