Red Lentil Soup
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 2 dried peppers or 3-4 Thai peppers
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric or saffron
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbs oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 tsps grated fresh ginger root
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach or 4 oz. frozen
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 2 tsp. garam masala
- salt to taste
Wash and rinse lentils about 3 times. Place lentils in a medium pot and cover them with water and add rest of ingredients in step 1. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until lentils are very tender (about 30 minutes). Heat oil in a small pan, add cumin seeds and cook for about 15 - 20 seconds. Stir in onions and ginger and cook until onions begin to brown. Add in tomatoes and spinach and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove hot peppers from lentils and stir in the onion/spinach mixture, lemon juice, garam masala and salt to taste. Serve and add more garam masala if desired.
Read NextChili Pot Pie
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use