Apple and Prune Chutney
This sweet sauce makes for a tasty accompaniment to any dish. The sweetness of the apples and prunes works well in this quick and easy chutney recipe. Home preserving recipes are fun and always full of flavor.
- 1 1/2 pound apples, peeled cored and chopped
- 2 3/4 pounds prunes, washed pitted and chopped
- 1 pound onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups sultanas or Thompsons seedless grapes
- 2 cups apple vinegar
- 2 2/3 cups soft brown sugar, packed firmly
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- Bring all the ingredients to the boil in a fairly large pan.
- Reduce the heat. Simmer, with a lid on the pan, for approximately 2 hours.
- When the mixture is thick and not syrupy, pour the chutney in sterilized jars and close them immediately.