8 Ingredient Apple Butter
Take 8 simple ingredients and combine them to create an other-worldly home preserving recipe. This easy fruit recipe is chick full of apple goodness. You will be eating this simple apple recipe nonstop.
The above may be adjusted to suit your own tastes. Makes about 10 1/2 pint jars.
- 6 Rome Beauty apples, cut into quarters seeded and cored
- 4 cups apple cider
- 2 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- In a large kettle, heat apples and cider over a high heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook about 30 minutes, until apples are very tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Press apple mixture through a food mill or sieve into a large bowl. Discard peels.
- Return apple mixture to the kettle and add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low/medium and simmer for a few hours or until mixture is thickened and mounds when dropped from a spoon, stirring frequently.
- Fill into sterilized jars, and process 10 minutes in a hot water bath.