Venison Honey Bologna

Venison Honey Bologna


  • 10 pounds venison
  • 2-3 pounds back fat
  • 5 ounces salt
  • 2 teaspoons Prague Powder #2
  • 4 ounces corn syrup solids
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 6 ounces Fermento
  • 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
  • 1 tablespoon nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder


When you do this with beef, you grind the meat through a 1/2 inch plate, mix it with the salt, then let it sit 5 to 6 days, draining off the liquid. Then you add 3/4 ounce of salt. However, as I discovered with the venison, being a firmer and leaner meat, there won't be any liquid to draw off - so you might want to back off a bit on those 5 ounces of salt and definitely add no more when it comes to mixing. I left the venison in the fridge just 4 days, keeping it in one of those large white kitchen trash bags to keep it from air-drying. I overhauled it once during this time. The problem with corn syrup solids is that they want to stick together and that can be a problem in the finished sausage - you are likely to get lumps. I keep them vacuum sealed to avoid these hard clumps from forming in storage. This tendency would not normally be a problem, but this recipe calls for no water - so you can't dissolve the spices in the blender with liquid. What I did was mix it with the dryer Fermento, then mix it all into the venison (after I'd run the venison through a 3/8" plate). There was still a sticky mess in the bottom of the bowl that just wouldn't dissolve, but the next step took care of that. In order to insure proper distribution of the cure, I ignored the recipe and dissolved the Prague Powder #2 in a cup of cold water and mixed that in. This additional moisture - okay in my mind because of the dryness of the meat - got the remaining gook off the bottom of the mixing bowl. I figured this would be a good time to mix in the honey, so I drizzled that over the meat and mixed it in. Next, I mixed in the back fat, which was previously ground through an 1/8" plate. I worked this in a little at a time, until the consistency seemed right, mixed in all the spices, a Kutas specifies fermenting thusly: 16 hours at 90: F, 90% humidity 28 hours at 105: F, 85% humidity 6 hours at 110: F, 85% humidity Now I can hold those temperatures fairly well, within 3 or so degrees, but the humidity is just gonna be very high since I have no way of regulating that. The dutch oven and wet towel insure that. I weighed out the meat and it was exactly 208 ounces - or 13 pounds. I decided to make 5 sausages, so I got out five 3 1/2 x 24 inch casings and set them a-soaking in vinegar (that helps prevent sticking). I weighed out five ~41 ounce balls of sausage mixture and prepared to stuff. The idea here was to make them as even as possible and that 5 pound stuffer I just bought is just the ticket for that - very little meat is left in it when its plunger hit the bottom and, wow, does that hydraulic plus gear ratio thing ever pack a sausage tight! One by one, I put the 41 ounce balls in there, sealing the ends with a half inch hog ring. Well, all but the first one. See there's still a little bit, maybe a couple of ounces or so, of meat left in there. After I had sealed the last sausage, I took the "residue" from the bottom of the stuffer and put it in the first sausage with a spoon. Then I sealed it. The result was 5 sausages, all the same size. Prick 'em liberally and paint them once more with vinegar, for good measure. I'm sticking with the times Kutas suggested, and that's a really long time! The fermenting started Tuesday at 3:30pm, first temprature bump yesterday at 7:30am, and the last one will be this morning at 11:30am. Then, the smoking/cooking will start about 5:30pm this afternoon. Kutas suggests heavy smoking for a day or two, without heat, then raising the temperature to 150: F until the sausage temperature reaches 137:. That's for beef, I might take it a little higher for the venison, though this stuff has been frozen long enough to kill any trichina. If you're in doubt, get the internal temperature up to 152:. I'm going to get the smokehouse temperature at 130F after 5:30, vents wide open, goodbye towel and dutch oven, let's let this stuff dry out a bit. You cannot smoke wet sausage. After a couple of hours, I'll smoke it overnight then cook it tomorrow. Then it has to age about a week in the fridge before it is ready to eat!

Your Recently Viewed Recipes

Leave a Comment


Cancel Reply to Comment

Thanks for your comment. Don't forget to share!


Report Inappropriate Comment

Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.

Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.

Join our community of 5 million cooks!

Thank You for Signing Up!
There was an issue signing you up. Please check your email address, and try again.

More from "Preserving Meats"

Close Window