Scrapple, or pork mush, is an easy and delicious dish. Apple scrapple recipes, like this homemade scrapple recipe, are perfect for any occasion. Try this recipe for scrapple today.
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup red apple, diced and unpeeled
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a skillet, cook the sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of drippings in skillet. Add butter, apple, thyme, sage and pepper to drippings; cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until apple is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in sausage and onion mixture. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Combine cornmeal, salt and remaining water; stir into boiling water. Return to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the sausage mixture. Pour into a greased 8" x 4" x 2" loaf pan. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Slice 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle both sides of slices with flour. Fry in a buttered skillet until browned on each side. Serve with syrup.