Barley and Mushroom Polish Casserole
Tuna, chicken, green bean...tried of standard casserole dishes? Why not try Barley and Mushroom Casserole? This vegetable dish is an interesting alternative to the old standby casseroles.
Cooking Time50 min
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and minced
- 1 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Melt the butter in a 2-quart stove top covered casserole. Add the garlic and onion and saute over moderately low heat till the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms and saute till golden, about 5 minutes. Add the barley and basil and toss lightly then pour on the chicken stock and season to taste with salt and pepper. Slowly bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
3. Cover the casserole and bake in the oven till the barley is tender about 50 minutes. Before serving add the chopped parsley and toss gently.
Read NextBaked Mushrooms