George Washington's Cherry Pie
I cannot tell a lie: George Washington's Cherry Pie is among the best of all cherry pie recipes. Celebrate our first founding father on the Fourth of July with one of the easiest pie recipes you'll ever make. This canned cherry pie recipe comes together in just a few simple steps. Combine your ingredients together in a pie pan, top with pastry dough for the top of the crust, and bake until golden brown. This is one pie that will make you proud to be an American no matter when you make it.
Can't get enough pie recipes? Download our free eCookbook, 22 Easy Pie Recipes for Every Occasion.
Cooking Time45 min
- pastry for double crust pie
- 2 cans pitted red tart cherries, drained, or 4 cups red tart cherries, pitted
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine cherries, sugar, and flour; toss lightly to mix.
- Line a 9-inch pie pan with the base crust.
- Spoon cherry mixture into pastry lined pan. If desired, sprinkle cherries with almond extract.
- Dot with margarine.
- Top with remaining pastry; fold edge of top pastry under bottom pastry. Press together to seal and flute the edge.
- Cut slits in several places in top pastry.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes or until juice begins to bubble through slits in crust.
Read NextOld Fashioned Funeral Pie
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
May 01, 2017
I bet that almond flavoring is what makes this cherry pie so out of the world good. I think almond extract makes everything taste better! I've been searching for a quick and easy cherry pie recipe and also a strawberry pie one for awhile now. I'll have to give this one a try and then search for a good strawberry pie recipe. Any suggestions?
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use