Spicy Chili Powder
For a more fiery blend, use hotter chilies.
- 2 large dried pasilla chili peppers, leathery not brittle
- 1 large dried ancho chili peppers, leathery not brittle
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
Makes 1/3-1/2 cup.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers. Tear chilies into small pieces (Use gloves).
- Combine the chiles in a skillet with the cumin, cloves, coriander and allspice and stir continuously over low heat until there is a faint crackling noise and the fragrance of peppers is perceptible-about 1-2 minutes.
- Cool completely in a dish.
- Combine in batches in a spice mill with the oregano and garlic salt and grind to a fine powder. Mix, then store airtight.
Read NextHomemade Taco Seasoning Mix
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use
Thank You for Signing Up!
There was an issue signing you up. Please check your email address, and try again.