Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time10 min
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons regular (not instant) rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup raisins or chopped pitted prunes
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
- 2 apples or firm pears, shredded
- Milk or cream, warmed, for serving
- Brown sugar, for serving
- In a heavy saucepan, combine water, milk, oats and salt and place over a medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in the prunes or raisins, apples or pears, and cinnamon and continue to simmer, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes more or until tender.
- Spoon into bowls. Pass milk or cream and sugar at the table.
Read NextHoney Lemon Cups