Luscious Lemon Ice box Cake
Impress the heck out of your family and friends with this Luscious Lemon Ice box Cake! With only 7 ingredients you'd never believe it with how awesome it tastes. It gives no bake dessert recipes a new level of decadence.
Cooking MethodNo Bake
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 packages Lady Fingers (the soft cake-like ones)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice plus 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 package gelatin
- 1 pint whipping cream
- Line a 9" spring form pan with lady fingers, bottom and sides. Separate the 2 halves of each lady finger to do this.
- Cut the rounded bottoms of the fingers off, then stack them around the edges, with the remaining rounded part up so it will look nice from the outside. Then line the bottom completely.
- You'll have a few left over - save them. Crumble the cut-off pieces and brown in a non-stick skillet until nice tan/brown color - don't burn them, they're sugary and burn easily.
- Dissolve gelatin in about 1/4 cup cold water - set aside. Beat cream - set aside. Beat egg whites - set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar well until pale and frothy. Mix in gelatin, lemon zest and lemon juice. Fold in egg whites, then fold in cream.
- Put 1/3 to 1/2 the batter in spring form pan. Make another layer on top of batter out of rest of lady-fingers (this absorbs some of the stray liquid so it doesn't get too soggy at the bottom).
- Pour in rest of batter. Sprinkle top with toasted lady finger crumbs. Cover lightly with wax paper or plastic wrap.
- Chill until set - I always make the night before. When ready to serve, remove sides of spring form carefully, so as not to pull off outside of lady fingers.
- If they tend to stick, next time butter your form lightly and dab with hot/wet towel to loosen.
Read NextVintage Cake