Wild Gulf Shrimp Corn Dogs with Tabasco
Treat yourself and your guests to one of the best appetizer recipes. Put away the chips and salsa and enjoy these shrimp corn dogs with a robust Tabasco Mash RÃ©moulade to dip in. Zesty and tangy, you won't be able to stop at just one of these Wild Gulf Shrimp Corn Dogs (from Haven restaurant in Texas). Your mini corn dog recipe just got a makeover for the better.
- For the Gulf Shrimp Corn Dogs:
- 12 extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 6 -inch wood skewers
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup flour, for dredging, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Texas honey
- 3/4 can buttermilk
- 1/2 cup plus 1/8 cups of water
- 1/2 egg
- For the Tabasco Mash RÃ©moulade Sauce:
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- pinch Tabasco Mash, or 2 tablespoons horseradish and a dash of Tabasco
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
To prepare the corn dog:
- In a wide shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt, honey, buttermilk, water, and egg. Stir the batter until smooth.
- Skewer the shrimp lengthwise starting at the tail end. Season the shrimp and dredge in seasoned flour.
- Roll the shrimp in the batter and fry in a 350 degree fryer until golden brown.
To prepare the sauce:
- Place all the ingredients except for the oil in a blender or food processor and mix at high speed until well blended.
- While processing, gradually add the oil in a slow, steady stream. Sauce will thicken to a creamy consistency.
- Adjust spice with the Tabasco mash. Store the sauce in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Serve with Tabasco Mash dipping sauce and ice cold Meyer lemonade, just like at the mall.
Read Next7 Layer Bean Dip