African Groundnut Stew
Here's an African take on chili, featuring peanuts in place of beans. African Groundnut Stew is unique and delicious.
- Accompaniments: For true African taste, pass small bowls of shredded coconut, orange segments, pineapple chunks, and fried onions to sprinkle over individual servings of stew.
- Check out our full collection of 12 tasty peanut recipes!
Cooking Time1 hr 55 min
- 2 pounds stew meat, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions
- 2 medium tomatoes (Roma best)
- 2 tablespoons salad oil (peanut oil best)
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts, coarsely broken
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- In a covered medium saucepan, cook meat, 1 1/2 cups water, salt, and pepper for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in covered electric blender container at low speed, blend onions and tomatoes until smooth (or chop onions and tomatoes very fine).
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, in hot oil, cook onion-tomato mixture for 5 minutes.
- Add meat mixture and peanuts, cook about 20 minutes until sauce cooks down slightly. Serve with Joloff rice.