Creamy Cabbage Soup
This isn't your average cabbage soup recipe ... it's better. What sets this Creamy Cabbage Soup apart is that it's an easy soup recipe that's creamy thanks to the addition of milk and cream. Potatoes and cabbage are blended together to give the soup a creamy and smooth texture, while thyme and lemon juice add flavor. You'll love how easy this warm, comforting soup is to make. Plus, it's budget-friendly! Make a big batch of this Creamy Cabbage Soup next time you want a cold weather meal that will warm your soul.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 small potato, chopped or grated
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt and ground black pepper
- For Topping: bacon, croutons, red pepper flakes, Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large saucepan or pot, saute onion in butter.
- Add cabbage, potato, chicken stock, bay leaf and thyme. Cook until cabbage is soft.
- Remove from heat. Puree the soup using a regular blender or immersion blender. Add milk, cream and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste and boil for a minute more.
- Top with bacon, croutons, red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese before serving, if desired.
Read NextTried and True Italian Pasta Soup