Creamy Cabbage Soup
This isn't your average cabbage soup recipe ... it's better. What sets this Creamy Cabbage Soup apart is that it's an easy soup recipe that's creamy thanks to the addition of milk and cream. Potatoes and cabbage are blended together to give the soup a creamy and smooth texture, while thyme and lemon juice add flavor. You'll love how easy this warm, comforting soup is to make. Plus, it's budget-friendly! Make a big batch of this Creamy Cabbage Soup next time you want a cold weather meal that will warm your soul.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 small potato, chopped or grated
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt and ground black pepper
- For Topping: bacon, croutons, red pepper flakes, Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large saucepan or pot, saute onion in butter.
- Add cabbage, potato, chicken stock, bay leaf and thyme. Cook until cabbage is soft.
- Remove from heat. Puree the soup using a regular blender or immersion blender. Add milk, cream and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste and boil for a minute more.
- Top with bacon, croutons, red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese before serving, if desired.
Read NextOld-Fashioned Potato Soup
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Feb 05, 2017
My family hosts a Saint Patrick's Day party every year and this would be a great addition to our menu! I personally love cabbage but it can be a bit challenging to get some others to eat it. I think this recipe will solve that problem!
Dec 08, 2016
I think I will make this for dinner tonight. I have a head of cabbage in my fridge just waiting for inspiration. I am going to substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth though. I am trying to find recipes that I can use this huge stock pot of vegetable broth that I am making today. Has anybody ever done this? Was the flavor the same?
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use