Meaty Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
These Meaty Stuffed Cabbage Rolls are a saucy, savory delight. Wrapped in bacon and filled with plenty of ground beef, pork, rice, and tomatoes, this recipe for stuffed cabbage rolls leaves little to be desired.
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 package bacon
- 1 can (16-ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (8-ounces) tomatoes
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Remove core from cabbage. Scald cabbage in boiling water and remove leaves as they soften.
- Saute onions in margarine very lightly--do not brown. Combine with the meats, rice, eggs, and seasonings. Mix well.
- Place 2 tablespoons of mixture in center of cabbage leaf and roll. Wrap in bacon strips and insert wooden toothpicks to hold together.
- Pour tomato sauce on rolls; then squeeze tomatoes from can and arrange on top of rolls. Simmer over low heat for 2 hours in heavy dutch oven.