Amish Broccoli Salad
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This Amish Broccoli Salad is one of those delightfully-tasty summer salad recipes that will get your taste buds tingling. Don't take our word for it, try this broccoli salad recipe out for yourself, and see what you think! This is one of those dishes that will remind you of the kind of meals your grandma used to make. It will satisfy you in more ways the one with plenty of crunchy broccoli mixed up with creamy sour cream, mayonnaise, Cheddar cheese and bacon. What more could you want in a salad? Make this dish for a picnic or potluck, and don't be surprised when people start asking you for the recipe!
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 pound fresh cauliflower
- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar, in inch dice (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Did you know how many broccoli salads varieties there are? In our collection, 9 Best Recipes for Broccoli Salad + Bonus Broccoli Salad Recipes, we're sure you'll find one that becomes your new favorite.
- Cut cauliflower and broccoli, chopping the stems and cutting florets into bite size pieces.
- In a large pot bring 4 quarts of water and 1 Tablespoon salt to the boil. Drop peas into the water just for 1 minute, then lift with a slotted spoon or wire mesh sieve and drain.
- In the same boiling water, boil cauliflower for 3 minutes, then lift out and drain, running under cold water to cool the vegetables. In the same boiling water, boil the broccoli about 2 minutes and drain and cool.
- In a small fry pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until browned and lightly crisp. Drain well on paper towels.
- When vegetables have cooled, toss with the dressing and taste for seasoning. Add bacon and cheese and stir gently until well mixed. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day before serving,
- You can substitute 1 cup cubed smoked ham or smoked turkey instead of bacon.
- Blanching the vegetables has two effects: 1) it makes the salad more colorful as the peas and broccoli brighten in color from the blanching. 2) Their flavor is less pronounced after this brief cooking, making the salad more attractive to some people who don’t like the strong flavor of the “cabbage vegetables."
- The vegetables need to be chilled before stirring in the mayo for food safety reasons.
Don't be the one who doesn't bring a dish to the potluck. WIth our easy collection, Summer Salad Recipes: Our Ultimate Guide to Deli Salad Potluck Ideas, it's so easy to find something absolutely delicious that everyone will love.
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Love these recipes? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 29 Tasty, Easy Breakfast Recipes eCookbook
- 33 Secret Copycat Restaurant Recipes: Volume III
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 39 Appetizer Recipes and Party Pleasers eCookbook
- 17 Excellent Easter Recipes
- 21 Must-Have Easy Picnic Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Effortless Recipes with Cake Mix eCookbook
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes eCookbook and craft guide
- 11 Fabulous Christmas Dinner Menu Ideas eCookbook
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects eCookbook and Craft Guide
- 26 Unforgettable Halloween Party Recipes
- 22 Easy 4th of July Dessert Recipes
- 18 Mother's Day Recipes for Brunch and Dessert: Blogger Edition
- 24 New Top Secret Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 14 New Years Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 27 Secret Restaurant Copycat Recipes eCookbook
- 27 Terrific After School Snack Recipes
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 20 Valentine's Day Recipes: Blogger Edition - Free eCookbook
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- Classic Cowboy Recipes: 27 Authentic Western Recipes - Free eCookbook
- No Bake Recipes: 21 Fuss-Free Easy Desserts eCookbook
- Top Rated Amish Recipes: 26 Classic, Old-Fashioned Recipes eCookbook
- Christmas Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes
- The Best Desserts for Thanksgiving: 11 Sweet Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Chicken Recipes - Chicken for Dinner eCookbook
- 50 Favorite American Recipes by State
- Frugal Recipes: 26 Ground Beef Recipes eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- 22 4th of July Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 6 Christmas Dinner Menu Ideas eCookbook
- 15 Halloween Recipes eCookbook
- 23 Spooky Halloween Recipe Ideas
- 27 Simple Mexican Recipes
- 31 Top Secret Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 33 Hearty Slow Cooker Recipes
- 42 Quick and Easy Recipes
- 50 Christmas Cookie Recipes eCookbook
- America's Favorite Pork Chop Recipes
- Celebrate Mom: 26 Terrific Mothers Day Recipes
- Mason Jar Recipes: 39 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- 35 Chicken Casserole Recipes eCookbook
- 19 Wonderful Chicken Salad Recipes
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 36 Thanksgiving Recipes
- 18 Thanksgiving Side Dishes That Steal The Show
- Magical Holiday Cookie Recipes: 12 Easy Christmas Cookies
- 11 Copycat Recipes for Baking Ingredients: Recipes for Homemade Bisquick & More
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 19 Unforgettable Simple Cake Recipes
- How To: 20 Christmas Gifts to Make and Christmas Dessert Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes
- 50 Favorite American Recipes by State
- 28 Must-Have Easy Picnic Recipes
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designer, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs and Egg Recipes
- Quick and Easy Chicken Casserole Recipes
- 5-Ingredient Recipes: 21 Easy Dinner Ideas with 5 Ingredients or Less
- The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
- Easy Potluck Recipes: 21 Pasta Casserole Recipes
- 21 Meaty Slow Cooker Recipes for Dinner
- 22 Easy Pie Recipes for Every Occasion
- 27 Cheap and Easy Chicken Recipes
- Our Best Casserole Recipes: 19 Quick & Easy Casseroles to Try
- The Best Dinner Recipes, Delicious Desserts & More: 20 Must-Have Recipes
- 12 Overnight Breakfast Casseroles for Christmas Morning
- Sweets for Your Sweet: 22 Cute Dessert Recipes for Valentine's Day
- 22 Easy Thanksgiving Recipes: A Traditional Thanksgiving Meal From RecipeLion
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Grilled Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich
- Citrus Almond Loaf Cake Recipe
- Pumpkin Pie Roll-Ups Recipe
- Vietnamese Caramel Chicken
- Grandma's Cowboy Cookies
- Butternut Squash Soup with Hemp Seeds
- Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls
- Gluten Free Slow Cooker Chicken Lentil Soup
- Sriracha Comeback Sauce
- Ginger Chicken Soup