Classic Potatoes Au Gratin
The sight of cheesy golden brown potatoes au gratin makes any food advocate happy. Why change au gratin potatoes when it's the simplicity of them that makes them so delicious? Classic Potatoes Au Gratin delivers the taste you love.
5 large potatoes, peeled and sliced into medium thin slices
2 onions, peeled and chopped
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
2 pounds Cheddar cheese, cubed or sliced
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter and add flour, salt and pepper. Pour in the milk and stir frequently till thickened. Set aside.
- Lightly butter a large casserole (3 1/2 to 5 qt.). Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Layer one quarter of the sliced potatoes, 1/4 of the onion, 1/4 of the cheese and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat the next layer.
- Then, on top of the second layer, pour half the white sauce over (be a little reserved cuz you want the majority of the white sauce on top of the finished casserole). Then, again, repeat the next layer with potatoes, cheese, onion, salt and pepper. Repeat the final layer with same.
- Pour the remaining white sauce over the top, making sure you cover all. Sprinkle the final product with salt and pepper. Cover and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees F.
- Then, remove the cover and bake for another hour. Don't worry if it gets a little dark on top.
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Love these recipes? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!