Beef Enchiladas with Red Sauce
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Looking for a tasty enchiladas recipe with a big ingredient list and huge flavor? Try this recipe for beef enchiladas with red sauce. You won't be disappointed with the taste and aroma of this Mexican dish!
- 6 medium dried ancho/pasilla chiles
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cup fresh water, or broth
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 cake Mexican chocolate, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 tablespoon flour or dry masa
- 1 pound chuck or beef stew meat
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 corn tortillas
- corn oil
- 1/2 pound cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup green onions/chives, chopped fine
- Sour cream, for topping
- Use some dried chiles, like anchos/pasillas.
- You can mix in chipotles (these are hot), and/or New Mexicos chiles.
- Toast them in a hot oven for a few minutes, until you can smell them, remove the stems and seeds, then cover them with boiling water.
- Put a bowl on top to keep them submerged.
- They should be soft in about 20 minutes. Drain them thru a strainer as the water may be bitter.
- Puree them with a cup of fresh water or broth.
- Sautee some chopped onion a little corn oil and a pinch of salt until somewhat caramelized, then add the garlic and saute just until flavorful. Now add 1 tablespoon flour or dry masa to make a roux.
- Add the chile puree and some Mexican chocolate. The chocolate along with the sauteed onions help counteract some of the bitterness of the chile. You can add cumin or Mexican oregano.
- Bring this mixture to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes. If the sauce is too thick use more water or broth to thin it. Roughly chop the onion and garlic.
- To a slow cooker or pot add the meat, onion, and garlic and cover with fresh water or broth. Cook overnight in the slow cooker on low), or simmer in the pot for a few hours until meat is tender.
- Do not boil the water as this can cause the meat to become tough. Add salt after the meat is tender to the point of falling off a fork.
- Strain the meat juices (which can be reserved to make gravy later by boiling with 1 Tblsp of flour until thick).
- Shred the meat and place in a covered container and refrigerate until ready to use. In a non-stick pan, saute one tortilla at a time in corn oil until limp. (use tongs to turn them).
- Next place the limp tortilla into a large fry pan with the sauce. Coat both sides of the tortilla in the chile sauce and place in a flat dish or flat pan to do the rolling, which can be messy.
- Fill tortilla with beef, cheese etc. Roll it up and place seam side done on a baking tray that has been lined with foil (easy cleanup).
- Repeat for about a dozen tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at about 250-F until the cheese is melted on the top. Serve with rice and beans and top the enchiladas with sour cream and chopped green onion/chives.
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Love these recipes? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 5 Minute Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Grande
- "Get Stuffed" Mexican Stuffed Shells
- Mindless Crescent Enchilada Bake
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- Layered Mexican Delight
- "27 Simple Mexican Recipes" eCookbook
- Stacked Black Bean Enchilada Pie
- One Pot Cheesy Mexican Chicken Skillet
- One Pan Chicken Enchilada Bake
- 9 Mexican Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
- 29 Tasty, Easy Breakfast Recipes eCookbook
- 33 Secret Copycat Restaurant Recipes: Volume III
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 39 Appetizer Recipes and Party Pleasers eCookbook
- 17 Excellent Easter Recipes
- 21 Must-Have Easy Picnic Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Effortless Recipes with Cake Mix eCookbook
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes eCookbook and craft guide
- 11 Fabulous Christmas Dinner Menu Ideas eCookbook
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects eCookbook and Craft Guide
- 26 Unforgettable Halloween Party Recipes
- 22 Easy 4th of July Dessert Recipes
- 18 Mother's Day Recipes for Brunch and Dessert: Blogger Edition
- 24 New Top Secret Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 14 New Years Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 27 Secret Restaurant Copycat Recipes eCookbook
- 27 Terrific After School Snack Recipes
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 20 Valentine's Day Recipes: Blogger Edition - Free eCookbook
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- Classic Cowboy Recipes: 27 Authentic Western Recipes - Free eCookbook
- No Bake Recipes: 21 Fuss-Free Easy Desserts eCookbook
- Top Rated Amish Recipes: 26 Classic, Old-Fashioned Recipes eCookbook
- Christmas Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes
- The Best Desserts for Thanksgiving: 11 Sweet Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Chicken Recipes - Chicken for Dinner eCookbook
- 50 Favorite American Recipes by State
- Frugal Recipes: 26 Ground Beef Recipes eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- 22 4th of July Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 6 Christmas Dinner Menu Ideas eCookbook
- 15 Halloween Recipes eCookbook
- 23 Spooky Halloween Recipe Ideas
- 27 Simple Mexican Recipes
- 31 Top Secret Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 33 Hearty Slow Cooker Recipes
- 42 Quick and Easy Recipes
- 50 Christmas Cookie Recipes eCookbook
- America's Favorite Pork Chop Recipes
- Celebrate Mom: 26 Terrific Mothers Day Recipes
- Mason Jar Recipes: 39 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- 35 Chicken Casserole Recipes eCookbook
- 19 Wonderful Chicken Salad Recipes
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 36 Thanksgiving Recipes
- 18 Thanksgiving Side Dishes That Steal The Show
- Magical Holiday Cookie Recipes: 12 Easy Christmas Cookies
- 11 Copycat Recipes for Baking Ingredients: Recipes for Homemade Bisquick & More
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 19 Unforgettable Simple Cake Recipes
- How To: 20 Christmas Gifts to Make and Christmas Dessert Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes
- 50 Favorite American Recipes by State
- 28 Must-Have Easy Picnic Recipes
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designer, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs and Egg Recipes
- Quick and Easy Chicken Casserole Recipes
- 5-Ingredient Recipes: 21 Easy Dinner Ideas with 5 Ingredients or Less
- The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
- Easy Potluck Recipes: 21 Pasta Casserole Recipes
- 21 Meaty Slow Cooker Recipes for Dinner
- 22 Easy Pie Recipes for Every Occasion
- 27 Cheap and Easy Chicken Recipes
- Our Best Casserole Recipes: 19 Quick & Easy Casseroles to Try
- The Best Dinner Recipes, Delicious Desserts & More: 20 Must-Have Recipes
- 12 Overnight Breakfast Casseroles for Christmas Morning
- Sweets for Your Sweet: 22 Cute Dessert Recipes for Valentine's Day
- 22 Easy Thanksgiving Recipes: A Traditional Thanksgiving Meal From RecipeLion
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Peppermint Brownie Baked Alaska
- Olio Carli Citrus Cake
- Duralex Picardie Tumbler Glass Set Review
- Pourfect Measuring Cup and Spoon Set Review
- Hungry Girl Creamy Clam Chowder
- Southern Red Velvet Cake, Red Velvet Cupcakes, and 8 Other Swoon-Worthy Red Velvet Recipes
- Oliso SmartHub Cooktop Review
- Coworker Cake in a Cup
- Have Your Cake and Eat it Too Breakfast
- Grilled Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich