Sweet 14 day Sweet Pickles
Make your sweet pickles in 14 days. This makes for the best and sweetest taste. They're great for those outdoor grilling days.
75 Cucumbers or 2 gallons of the small ones
2 cups salt
1 gallon water
1 tablespoon powdered Alum
6 cups vinegar
8 cups sugar
cup pickling spice
- Virginia Chunks.
- Clean the cukes and place in a crock.
- Make a brine of 2 cups salt to 1 gallon water.
- Boil the brine and pour it over the cukes while boiling hot.
- Let stand for 7 days.
- In hot weather, skim daily.
- Drain and cut into chunks.
- For the next 3 mornings make a boiling hot solution of 1 gallon water and 1 tablespoon powdered Alum.
- Pour over cukes.
- Make this fresh hot bath for 3 mornings.
- On the 4th morning, drain and discard alum water.
- Heat 6 cups vinegar, 5 cups sugar, 1/2 cup pickling spice and to boiling point and pour over pickles.
- On the 5th morning drain this liquid off.
- Save the liquid and add 2 cups sugar to it.
- Heat it to the boiling point and pour over pickles.
- On the 6th morning drain this liquid and add 1 cup sugar, heat to boiling.
- Pack the pickle chunks in sterilized jars and pour boiling liquid over them to within a 1/2 to 1 inch of the top and seal with the lids.
- If my counting is right, that makes 13 days, not 14 but hope this will help.
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Love these recipes? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!