Minted Watermelon Pickles
Want something to do with those watermelon rinds this summer? Make some minted watermelon pickles! This great watermelon recipe is a great way to use every bit of your watermelons. Waste not want not!
Rind of 1 large watermelon (about 12 cups cut rind)
7 pints water (14 cups)
8 cups sugar
2 cups cinder vinegar
2 lemons, thinly sliced
3 cinnamon sticks (3 inch each)
2 teaspoons whole cloves
2 teaspoons whole allspice
1 tablespoon mint extract
Green food colouring
- Pare watermelon rind, removing green and pink portions. cut rind into 1 - 1 1/4 - inch squares.
- Add salt to 8 cups of water; stir until salt is dissolved. Pour over watermelon rind snd let stand overnight.
- Drain. Cover rind with fresh water and cook, covered, about 1 hour, or until rind is tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Combine remaining 6 cups water with sugar and vinegar in a 4 quart saucepan; cook over medium heat about 8 minutes.
- Tie lemon slices and spices in a cheesecloth; add to syrup with the rind.
- Cook, uncovered, until rind is clear, about 1 hour. Stir in mint extract and several drops of food colouring; blend well.
- Remove rind from from syrup with slotted spoon and pack into hot sterlized jars.
- Pour syrup over rind, filling to within 1/2 inch from the top. Release air bubbles by running a knife down the side of each jar several times.
- Seal immediately, following manufacturer's directions.
- Cool and store. 6 to 7 pints pickles