Hungarian Angel Wing Cookies
These savory-sweet cookies add a unique twist to traditional deep-fried sweets. Who knew such craftsmanship could go into a cookie?
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon rum or whiskey
pinch of salt
about 1 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- Place in the center of a bread board one cup of flour.
- Make a dent or well in the center. Add the whole yolks, sour cream, sugar, rum and salt.
- With a fork mix until the liquids are well combined. Gradually work into the flour.
- The dough should be of the consistency of a noodle dough. Knead for a few minutes to make the dough smooth.
- Split the dough into 2 portions. On a lightly floured board, roll out each section until paper thin.
- If you have a pie crimping wheel, use it to cut the dough into squares of 3 1/2 inches or a rectangle of 3 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches. They will have beautiful serrated edges.
- With a paring knife make three or four gashes about 2 to 2 1/2 inches evenly spaced.
- Fry in a deep fat (Lard preferred, Crisco OK) until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Sprinkle with sifted confectioners sugar.