Baked Potatoes with Spicy Black Beans
Baked potatoes that pack a twist and a punch! For a little southwest flair that spices up your dinner, try this yummy dish.
Cooking Time1 hr 15 min
- 4 russet baking potatoes
- 1 can black beans or red kidney beans, 15 oz.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno or other chili pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Scrub the potatoes and pierce the skin with a fork several times.
- Place the potatoes on a baking pan and bake for about one hour, until tender.
- Meanwhile, drain the beans, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid.
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, tomato, and jalapeno (if desired). Cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, liquid, cumin, and pepper and cook for about 4 minutes more.
- To thicken, mash the beans against the side of the pan with the back of a spoon or place in a blender and process until smooth.
- Blend in the cilantro.
- Slit each potato down the center and fluff up the pulp.
- Spoon the beans over the top.