African Pineapple Peanut Stew
Here are some fun facts on vegetables: they make for delicious dishes. get more vegetable nutrients into your diet with easy vegetarian recipes like this one. Cook with the most healthy vegetables for delicious cuisine options.
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups kale or Swiss chard, sliced
- 2 cups undrained canned crushed pineapple, 20-ounce can
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Skinless peanuts, crushed
- Scallions, chopped
- In a covered saucepan, saute the onions and garlic in the oil for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are lightly browned.
- While the onions saute, wash the kale or Swiss chard. Remove and discard the large stems and any blemished leaves. Stack the leaves on a cutting surface and slice crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices.
- Add the pineapple and its juice to the onions and bring to a simmer. Stir in the kale or chard, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring a couple of times, until just tender.
- Mix in the peanut butter, hot sauce and cilantro and simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste, and serve.
- If you have a few extra leaves of kale, put them in; this stew can absorb lots of greens. Serve on rice, millet, or couscous, topped with crushed peanuts and chopped scallions.