Simple Roast Turkey
Nothing beats a simple roast turkey for any holiday dinner. Easter dinner, Christmas, Thanksgiving or even just "because" are the perfect reasons to make a simple roast turkey.
Looking for more methods for preparing your Thanksgiving bird? Check out The Top 41 Best Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes for more great ideas!
Cooking Time4 hr
- 12 pounds turkey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Remove the package containing the giblets and neck from the cavities of the turkey (you may have to release the legs from a band of skin or a wire in order to remove the giblets and neck).
- Rinse the turkey, inside and out, and dry it with paper towels.
- Trim off any excess fat.
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Transfer turkey to a rack in a large roasting pan.
- Return the legs to the band of skin or wire. Fold the wings back and underneath the bird.
- Pour the water and 1/2 cup sherry into the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Combine remaining sherry, garlic, black pepper, poultry seasoning, paprika, and brown sugar in a mixing bowl; brush over the skin of the turkey.
- Completely enclose the turkey in aluminum foil, crimping the foil around the edges of the pan to seal.
- Bake for 3 to 4 hours. During the last 30 minutes of cooking, remove foil and baste with pan juices.
- When turkey is done, a thermometer inserted in the thigh will read 180 to 185F degrees, and the drumsticks will move easily in the sockets.
- Remove turkey from the oven, and allow it to sit, loosely covered with foil, for 20 minutes before carving.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
More from "Turkey"
A collection of turkey recipes, including Thanksgiving turkey recipes, fried turkey, grilled turkey, turkey stuffing, turkey rolls and more.