Crunchy Chestnut Stuffing
On thanksgiving, stuffing is a necessity. Why not make stuffing with an added crunch? Crunchy chestnut stuffing will provide a tasty dish to compliment your holiday dinner.
Use this mixture to stuff anything you like, chicken, turkey, Zucchini,etc.
- 1 1/2 pound chestnuts
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 8 cups fresh bread crumbs
- With tip of sharp knife, mark and "x" in flat side of each chestnut.
- In 3 quart saucepan, cover chestnuts with water.
- Over high heat, heat to boiling. Cook 1 minute. Remove pan from heat.
- With slotted spoon remove 3 or 4 chestnuts at a time. Remove shells and skins. Coarsely chop chestnuts, set aside.
- In 6 quart Dutch oven over medium heat, In hot butter, cook celery and next five ingredients about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove pan from heat. stir in chestnuts and bread crumbs; mix all ingredients together well.