Baby Brussels Sprout Slaw
This is a great side dish for Thanksgiving because it has a delicious fusion of flavors with bacon, apples and fresh thyme. From Chef Bill Fausey, this baby brussels sprout slaw will impress your guests with its' savory taste.
- 3/4 pound thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, coarsely shredded and squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon thyme fresh leaves
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 6 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels; reserve 1/4 cup of fat.
- In a large pan cook over high heat, stirring, until softened but still bright green, about 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the apples and thyme; cook, stirring, until the apples are warmed through.
- Transfer the slaw to a platter, scatter the bacon on top and serve.