Mushroom Pumpkin Soup
Mushrooms make this easy pumpkin soup recipe stand out from the crowd. Proportions are huge - serve this at a party!
Makes about one gallon - can serve between 12 and 16 people, depending on how large your bowls are.
- 2 to 3 boxes of mushrooms or 2 to 3 lbs
- olive oil or butter or margarine
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- dry sherry wine
- 2 large cans cooked pumpkin (about 28 oz each)
- 1 to 2 quarts of chicken stock
- poultry seasoning
1. Saute sliced mushrooms in a few tablespoons of oil in a large skillet until soft and tender. Splash in some crushed garlic and sherry ( 1/2 cup or to taste ), bay leaf and cook mushrooms on low heat until most of liquid has evaporated but mushrooms are still moist.
2. Place pumpkin in a large pot and start to thin out with chicken stock. Make it as thin or thick as you like; I used about 1 1/2 quarts. Heat gently and stir and add in the mushrooms and continue to simmer about 1/2 hour to blend flavors.
3. Season with salt, pepper, bit of fresh grated nutmeg and a bit of poultry seasoning.