Ham and Bean Chowder
Ham and beans are a natural combination...so this Ham and Bean Chowder is a no-brainer! This easy ham and bean soup is ready in about 2 to 3 hours and, in case there are leftovers, this soup freezes really well.
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 1 pound great northern white beans
- 2 pounds ham hocks
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1 quart tomatoes, canned
- Cover beans in water and let soak overnight. Drain and place beans in a stock pot. Add water to cover beans by 1 inch.
- Add ham hocks and cook beans with ham hocks for at least 2 hours on low heat. Remove ham bone from beans and let cool.
- Add onion, carrot, green pepper, sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, mace, and tomatoes to the stock pot. Stir to combine.
- When ham has cooled, remove meat from the bones and return ham to the bean mixture. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
Read NextTexas Chili