Mom's Secret Pumpkin Soup Recipe
No matter how many different pumpkin soup recipes you've tried, you've never tasted anything quite like this dish. Learn what makes Mom's Secret Pumpkin Soup Recipe one of the best we've tried by following along with these instructions. When it comes to comforting autumn dishes, easy pumpkin recipes like this one are surefire winners.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup sliced, washed leeks, with tops
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups peeled pumpkin chunks or 2 cups plain pureed canned pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt or reduced-fat sour cream, for garnish
In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the butter and oil over moderately high heat.
Add the onion, celery, leeks, garlic and ginger and saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
Add the stock, pumpkin and salt and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the soup has thickened and the flavors are blended.
In a food processor or blender puree the soup, in batches if necessary, until smooth.
Return the soup to the saucepan and stir in the sugar and nutmeg.
Reheat over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish each serving with a tablespoon of yogurt.